On or about August 7, Lucy started losing her appetite. She wouldn't even take a Milkbone. So I knew something was up. All my babies have been rather lethargic these hot summer days, so that didn't really concern me.
When I could get Lucy to eat and I thought whatever it is is over: she would vomit. I took her to the vet and in the light of the office I could see that Lucy was jaundice in her eyes, gums, and ears. I was heart broken. Her and Joe had just had their annuals on July 3rd and the blood work looked normal. Her numbers were off the charts this week. I left her at the vet for three days to do an ultrasound etc. She has nodules on her liver and pancreatitis as well. I could have opted for an exploratory surgery but I did not. The $5000 price did have some influence on that decision. But overall, I thought if doctors say they don't want to subject my 98 year old Father to surgery that will have little or no benefit then why would I do that to my dog of 10 years?
I brought her home Saturday morning and she wasn't in the best of spirits and I could not get her to eat a thing.
Today she was in a much better mood and I finally got her to eat a boiled potato and some rice and a tablespoon of canned dog food.
The vet suggested Pepcid ac for her nausea and I have other medications as well that will be a challenge to get down her. I'm trying not to worry myself silly and to be a good guardian. I'm just glad she is home. I hope I can continue to get her to eat and to keep her comfortable. Pray for my Lucy that she will not suffer and that I will make good choices for her.