Tuesday, May 31, 2011

What's Wrong With This Picture?

As far as southeast Texas, it's too damn hot to leave a pet outside all the time. A man that I work with stopped by my desk last Thursday to tell me that his German Shepherd was dead in the backyard when he got home from work the day before. He said that he and his wife would spray him down with the hose as they sat outside and enjoyed a drink in the evening. Huh? My girls go outside to do their business and that's all they care to be outside this time of year. They don't even follow me around as I do yard work anymore. I suppose some dogs do acclimate themselves to the heat but still. I don't even want to be outside much in the heat. I'd never see a pet if I kept it outside. As discouraged as I get seeing gates, partitions, dog toys, hair balls, and such in my home I wouldn't make my dogs stay outside. Even at night the low is usually no less than 78 degrees for 5 months out of the year here.
So I hope the dog pictured above is just enjoying the warm pavers on a cloudy cool day and not banished to the outdoors.


2 comments:

Curt Rogers said...

That's horrible! I can;t imagine coming home and just finding my dog dead because I left him outside! My heart would break.

CJ, you keep those girls inside and I mean it!!!

How Sam Sees It said...

How horrible! We have the same thing in Arizona - temps over 110 and you see dogs tied up outside. I hate it! We had gotten Great Danes as security (LOL) years ago when someone got in the yard and harassed our horses pretty badly, but they soon became house dogs. We couldn't leave them outside!

Sam