Tuesday, January 22, 2013

My Poor Sable

 It's been about 7 months when I had Sable shaved down and noticed she  had patches of hair loss.
 On her tail too.
 She's also getting these patches which are crusty and a bit tacky and I can pull out wads of her hair.
 She has one spot on her back and several on her under belly like these.
 The end of November I took her to the vet and was prescribed this, Soloxine, for a thyroid condition,
I was also told to use this shampoo on her weekly.
Well, I was out of town for a couple of weeks in December and didn't do the follow up appointment. I have noticed no results after the month of meds and several weeks of shampooing. It's time for her annual visit and shots so I will take her to the vet again in a week or so but in the mean time...do you have suggestions of what could be the cause of these skin problems?  Have you seen any similar skin conditions on dogs?  Lucy and Joe have not shown any signs of skin problems.  Sable will be 10 years old in November.  Let me know what you think.

6 comments:

How Sam Sees It said...

Wow! Ask them about an allergy or mange perhaps. I had a horse with similar condition, and had to wash him in antifungal shampoo. Good luck! Let us know what you find out.

Sam

jnxwil said...

Did you ever get a thyroid test for the dog? Our vet says that the only reliable way to diagnose a thyroid problem is with a Michigan State University test, which costs over $100. It might be best to spring for the money, since there has been no improvement.

Anonymous said...

I think that sucks. I have no experience so other then hoping it clears up soon, I got nothing.

Tim said...

Rick, that still looks like eczema to me, given the locations and the crust forming. It might be worth getting a second opinion if your current Vet has no further ideas. Good luck Sable.

Alison said...

Zoe had hair loss issues as a puppy and was diagnosed with Demodex Mange. This does look very similar to mange but I would ask your vet to do a skin scraping.

Anonymous said...

Check out this site...

http://www.nzymes.com/store/pc/index.asp

My Lhasa is getting to the point where he is scratching and licking himself to death. I have him on this regimen. It's only been 3 weeks so far, so I can't really attest to the products yet since it does say it can take 3-6 months. However, you will find plenty of info and stories on the website. The prducts come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee. I figured it was worth a shot.

Hope it works for you.

Raquel