Monday, August 1, 2011

Beating The Heat

I took my pack of dogs to Millie Bush Bark Park early yesterday morning in an attempt to beat the Texas heat. Tropical storm Don gave us no relief from the drought or the high temperatures. As you can see Lucy and Sable wasted no time to get in the water. It had been too long since their last swim.

They love the water and it was actually a bit cooler than I thought it would be.



I know this because they always come straight to me before shaking off the water.





They enjoy the running too but I try and keep it at a minimum since they are both getting arthritic in their hips. Plus it wasn't long after we arrived the temperature was in the upper 80's and that's a bit warm.







Yes, Joe was with us too.










Lucy and Sable spent most of the time swimming and fetching.










Lucy has loved the water since her first encounter as a puppy.













Joe shows no interest in the water. Running and getting chased is his game of choice. Would you look at those paws. It's like having my own pony.


















He would make an occasional run by to see us but for the most part spent his time running from end to end of the 8 plus acre park.














His tongue would get longer and longer as time went on. The only sign the exercise and heat had any effect on him.



















Let me just say the energy level on the way home is quite different than the level shown on the trip to the park. It's quite nice actually as they hover around the air conditioning vent.

Ahhhhh, nothing like the smell of a wet dog in summer.





















1 comment:

Alison said...

I take my 8 month old Lab Zoe to Millie Bush everyday. The heat this year is insane.