Friday, April 13, 2012

Beware

 I joined Costco last year before the holidays and was pleased with the amount of pet supplies they carried compared to Sam's.  I thought I was doing a good thing by giving them pet treats as opposed to so much human food (Hey Dad are you reading this?).  At any rate, it seems pet food made in China has had adverse effects on animals and linked to the death of some.  Apparently, the FDA does not regulate pet food so all of this stuff is still on the market.  I just heard bits and pieces on TV but never thought much about it and then I saw it mentioned on a couple of blogs more recently.  So I thought I'd check out the pet pantry and sure enough these jerky treats that I have bought in chicken, duck, and turkey are made in China.  I'm not sure if these brands are the ones suspected of causing problems or not but better safe than sorry.  I plan on returning the unopened bags and trashing the rest.  I'll check more closely next time when buying edibles for my babies.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I've heard about this recently too. It's best to be cautious. These kind of things always scare me.

Ur-spo said...

I did not know; thank you for the information.

DavinciPirate said...

Wow, there's always something going on with food, whether human or pet food eh? I will have to look at my pet food and see if it's from China. No reason to risk chancing my pets!