Friday, April 27, 2012

To Groom Or Not to Groom?

How often and extreme do you have your loved ones groomed? I'm sorry to say that I can't remember where I came upon the above photo. I love it!  All that hair though reminded me that it's only been 10 weeks since I had Lucy and Sable groomed and already they are looking rather woolly.  I get Sable shaved down pretty close and I am wondering if this is a good thing?  She doesn't like the heat and her black coat warms up rather quickly now that the temps are in the upper 80's everyday.  She won't stay outside long in mid day unless she is swimming.  So does the extra hair actually help keep them cool and offer some protection from the heat?  What do you think?

4 comments:

Tim said...

Dogs don't sweat like we do, but loose heat through the tongue by panting. Lulu probably has a similar coat to Sable and although it gets warm here in Spain, I have never shaved her down. If the coat is too thin, there is a risk of sunburn, so I leave well alone. Lulu also dosn't stay out too long, but will seek the shade or a cold marble floor. If Sable has the sense to get out of the sun, you should be ok, if they do get really stressed a GENTLE shower from a hosepipe should suffice. Hope that helps Rick.

Rick said...

Thanks for stopping by and for the heads up Tim. Sable definitely likes a cool floor as opposed to carpet. She doesn't even bother seeking a cool spot outside. She's content to peek out the pet door now and then if I'm outside.

Howard in CT said...

I also have been told, in regards to my Yorkies, that they should not be shaved right down in the hot weather due to the possibility of sunburn on the tender skin.

Brettcajun said...

I LOOOOOVE THIS PIC TOO! :) That's somebody's baby.